Tethered Drone Systems (TDS)
Low-cost persistent stare unmanned aircraft.
The ability to be able to conduct persistent stare on a target has long been sort after from both military and civilian security organisations. The current options are helium balloons (blimps), observation masts, free flying multi-rotors and kites. Each solution has its drawbacks in terms of physical size, height limitation, endurance and wind speed direction and speed.
Built as a commercial consultation R&D project by University of Southampton for Cardinal Security
Technological advantages of the TDS Solution:
- Competitively priced for commercial markets.
- PTZ gimballed camera with video and thermal image capability (x8 Zoom).
- Interchangeable pods for multi-tasking; Laser, Infrared CCTV, High Definition Photography.
- The only tethered UAV in the UK with CAA permission to conduct aerial work (<120 m).
- Long endurance tactical stare capability (22 hrs before refuel).
- The Tether provide power and telemetry up to the UAV and brings secure data feeds back to the ground vehicle for viewing, recording and onward transmission.
- Failsafe technology built into the design.
- Self-contained trailer – totally mobile solution.
Cardinal Security continue to support this innovation and look forward to using the platform in 2018.